Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
On September 20, 2010 ceiling tiles and plaster fell in the nave of the Cathedral. After extensive engineering inspections it was deemed dangerous and the Cathedral was closed.
A professional assessment of the Cathedral and chapel prompted life safety and interrelated renovations to include the following:
Structural roof, flooring, choir loft, and ceiling renovations
- Exterior building renovations for water and moisture penetration prevention
- Mechanical, electrical, alarm, and lighting system upgrades
- Emergency egress and handicap accessibility code compliance upgrades
- Furnishing, artwork, and finishes restoration
- Reorganization of liturgical space to increase seating capacity
- Chapel restoration
The Cathedral Restoration Project consists of three phases:
- Phase I: Roof truss reinforcement
- Phase II: Exterior renovations
- Phase III: Interior renovations
Estimated start of construction is October 2014.